Scientists as Explorers
Those who dare to challenge the boundaries of space, time, ignorance & science
What kinds of people chose a life of explorations, challenge & discovery?
There have been many scientists who are also known as adventurers – travelling to distant and often unexplored lands. I am feeling a little like an adventurer - travelling to an environment that is remote with a climate that can be harsh and intolerant. With all the modern equipment that we have today, I know my adventure will be a vacation compared to what those early scientists had to deal with.
The list below contains the names of scientists who are also known as explorers/adventurers. For this assignment, you will need to pick 1 scientist and write a paragraph answering each of the following questions. At the least, you should write 1 sentence to answer each question. Remember, more information earns you extra points. Pictures will also earn extra point. Make your posting great!
Scientists/Explorers (pick one):
Alexander von Humboldt
John Wesley Powell
Dr. Sylvia Earle
Alfred Russel Wallace
Henry Walter Bates
Maurice & Katia Kraft
Write a paragraph with sentences that answer the following questions
1. What country is the scientist from?
2. What kind of education did they have in their youth?
3. Where did they travel? Name the continents and countries they visited.
4. What were their discoveries? What scientific information are they credited with?
5. Include other interesting information about the scientist or their adventure.
Please include the web address at the end of the paragraph.